Khopra Ridge Trek with Khayer Lake
Region: Himalayan Ranges in Nepal.
Tour activity type: Group Adventure.
Group size: 1 to 12 People per Group.
Duration: 9 nights / 10 days.
The difficulty level of Khopra Ridge Trek: Medium.
Best time to travel: Mar to May and Sep to Dec.
The trip begins and ends at: Pokhara.
Maximum altitude gain during Khopra Ridge Trek: 4, 767 meters / 15, 640 feet.
Type of accommodation: Hotel and Tea houses.
Overview of Khopra Ridge Trek
What does the Khopra ridge trek cost include?
- 2 nights accommodation in Pokhara(twin sharing).
- 7 nights accommodation during the trek (mountain lodge/tea house).
- Annapurna zone trekking permits and TIMS permits.
- Government licensed English-speaking guide and his entire expenses.
- Porter service (2 trekkers: 1 porter).
- Pokhara to Nayapul and Nayapul to Pokhara transport by private vehicle.
- All required local tax and Gov tax.
- Please Note: For a single trekker, we provide a porter cum guide.
What Khopra Ridge Khayer Lake Trek does not include?
- Travel expenses to reach and return from Kathmandu.
- Food and drinking water throughout the trip.
- Additional accommodation and food expenses if trek gets delayed due to weather, flight cancellation, health or any other reason.
- Health Insurance, Personal Insurance and other travel insurance.
- Expenses for evacuation and rescue operations due to natural calamity, mishaps, injury or any health problem.
- Anything not mentioned in “What does it include” section.
Khopra Ridge Trek Itinerary
Day 01: Arrive at Pokhara : 820 meters / 2, 690 feet.
Pokhara, our starting point for the trek, is among the most enticing tourist locations in Nepal. As your arrival concludes in Pokhara, you may explore the memorable places of Pokhara like Bindhyabasini Temple, Dewi Sāh, Phewa Lake, and so forth. After exploring the city, rest overnight at the hotel on your Khopra Ridge Trek with Khayer Lake.
Day 2: Drive from Pokhara to Nayapul by vehicle and Trek to Ghandruk (6,654 ft); 6 – 7 hours.
We leave for Gandruk early in the morning. This part of our Khopra Ridge Trek with Khayer Lake trip begins with a 1.5 hrs long drive to Nayapul, which is 46 km away. The journey is a spectacular sight filled with terrace paddy fields on all sides. On reaching Nayapul, begins the first upward trek towards Gandruk. Located at an elevation of 2000 meters, the Gandruk Village is the home to the Gurung clans of Nepal. Visit Gandruk and stay for the night to experience the local Gurung Museum’s rich cultural beauty.
Day 3: Ghandruk to Tadapani (9,020 ft): 4-5 hrs.
These 4 hours climb over only eight kilometers has abundant rhododendrons and dense Himalayan plants. Bird and animal sightings are common here too on occasion. It is important to reach Tadapani as soon as possible post-lunch. The sunset view of the Machhapuchhre from Tadapani is unlike any other. After enjoying the view, spend the night at Tadapani guest house acclimatizing to the elevating altitude.
Day 4: Tadapani to Dobato (11,826 ft) in 5 hours – 7 km.
The 7 km long trek to reach the elevation of 3200 meters takes approximately 5 hrs. The trail is a mix of uphill and downhill trekking and passes through the village of Meshar. You can rest for some time here to re-energize yourself and fill up your water bottles.
The trail to the next pit stop Isharu on our Khopra Ridge with Khayer Lake trek is one of those rare routes where Mt Annapurna and Mt Annapurna Fang are visible clearly for the next 90 minutes or so. On reaching Dobato, enjoy relaxing at one of the famous tea houses of the Nepalese Himalayas with Annapurna and Mt Ganesh Himal on the backdrop.
In case you are not tired, you can take a short 1-hour trek to Muldai Peak View Point from where the 14 highest peaks of the world are visible. Post the trek, rest overnight at Dobato.
Day 5: Dobato to Khopra ridge (12, 581 ft) in 7 hours (10.8 km).
The day begins with an 11 km long trek to reach an elevation of 4200 meters. The first pit stop of the 7-hour trek is a hidden lake that falls on route. It is a wonderful site and should be checked. From there, the trail continues through the villages of Bayali, and Chistibang.
After lunch at Chistibang, it is a steep climb upward with the clear sight of the Dhaulagiri Range. On reaching Khopra Ridge, relax and rewind at the tea house. The view from the tea house in itself is unlike any other. Dzos is one of those rare crossbreeds of cows and yaks that are only visible in this area of the Khopra Ridge Khayer Lake Trek.
6: Khopra ridge to Khayar lake (15,640 ft) and back to Khopra ridge in 8 hours (15.5 km approximately).
The Khayer lake is situated at a massive elevation of 4600 meters, and the 15.5 km trail takes around 8 hrs to complete. The path passes through the foothills of Dhaulagiri Range on the left side and the Kali Gandaki gorge on the right. The exhilarating trek is one of the scariest ones too. However, the beautiful and majestic surrounding is enough to let go of the fear.
Mt Tukche and Mt Nilgiri are the final sights before reaching the plain cold desert of Khayar. Set amidst the silent valley lies the lone lake of Khayar with a temple it’s bank. A breathtaking view, Khayar lake is unlike any other Himalayan Lake one can ever see. Post lunch at a Tea House 1.5 km away from the lake, you can slowly descend towards Khopra Ridge, which is around 3 hrs away. Stay overnight at the Khopra Ridge guest house.
Day 7: Down from Khopra ridge to Shwata (7,786 ft) in 5 hours (9.6 km).
The downhill journey of 10 km takes approximately 5 hrs to complete. The trail once again crosses through Chistibang. On reaching Swata, you can spend the evening exploring the teahouses, Terrace paddy farms, and the local school. Post dinner, rest overnight in the village guesthouse.
Day 8: Shwata to Hille: 6-7 hours.
Today we will reach village Hille which takes 6 to 7 hours. The 11 km long descending trail is lined with dense vegetation and remarkable flora and fauna on all sight and an occasional view of Mt Annapurna on the furthest corner. Hille is a beautiful mountain village we stay the night at the village guesthouse and relax.
Day 9: Hille (9,775 ft) to Nayapul; 4 -5 hours, 8 km; Depart for Pokhara; 1.5 hours’ drive.
From Hille, it takes 4 to 5 hrs to reach Nayapul, the final destination of the trek. The 8 km long walk downhill has beautiful natural surroundings all around. Rare orchids and multitudes of floral vegetation line up all around this trail. From Nayapul, it takes 1.5 hrs to reach Pokhara by drive. Once you reach Pokhara, you can rest overnight at the hotel.
Day 10: Departure.
Last day of Khopra Ridge Trek, you can either depart for Kathmandu, which is a 6 hrs drive from Pokhara by road, or take a flight to Kathmandu which takes 25 minutes.
Items to bring with you
- Trekking Bag.
- UV Protected Sun Glasses.
- Best Quality Hiking Shoes (Preferably Water Proof).
- Trekking Poles.
- Crocs Shoes/sandals.
- Water disinfection Drops / Tablets.
- Knapsack / Backpack / Rucksack.
- Good jacket to protect from cold.
- Thermals – Top and Bottom.
- Poncho (for rain).
- 1 quick-drying towel.
- Sunblocks (SPF 50 and above) and Lip Salve with Sun blocks.
- Toilet Paper.
- Wet-Tissue Papers/ Baby wipes.
- Headlamp, Torch with spare batteries.
- Gaiters for hiking in winter.
- Microspikes for hiking in winter.
- 2 lightweight trekking pants.
- 3 lightweight trekking T-shirts.
- 4 pairs of trekking socks.
- Dry Fruits and Chocolates.
- Small, basic first aid kit(cough and/or cold medicine, headache pills, etc).